Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back in Maine


After a 3 month hiatus, I am back in the great state of Maine, or as I like to call it, "the deep south of the far north," wearing overalls and exploring the coast. Unfortunately, the collegiate calender revolves around the the more grim portions of the year, so that the majority of my time is spent with ice in my nostrils and wool socks on my feet.

Maine in the summer is amazing. After spending the last week exploring the coast, driving up Route 1, and running around warm nights in Portland's Old Port District, I see why so many people escape from North American cities and suburbs to this beautiful state

Emma manning the wheel of the rubber duck.

While exploring a small island in Casco Bay, I spotted this puppy playing with bugs on a small dock. She was adorable.



For the next week or so, this tent will be my primary residence.



These immature Black Backed Gulls' mother left them to fend for themselves. RIP.

The harsh changes in Maine's weather are apparent everywhere you look. I really like the weathered wood on this dock and the framing around Emma's dog, Periwinkle.

Lobster boats like this one are the backbone of the Casco Bay region. Low lobster prices are hurting the area.

Spending three months in New York gave me a new found respect and appreciation for sunsets unobstructed by sky scrapers, a clear view of the stars and the hum of lobster boats' diesel engines traps at 5am. I am excited to be back in Maine.

Here are some more links,
Boats and Water (Picasa).

7 comments:

Jon Gaffney said...

Welcome back Foster, looking forward to you posting again.

Cheers,

Jon

james at 10engines said...

desktop vacation. that was nice. ok back to work...

Foster Huntington said...

I am glad to be back,
foster

Horrible Old Man said...

welcome back! are those bibs key or Roundhouse? I'm thinking i need a new pair.

woolsocklover said...

Ah, wool socks--good for any time of year. Look forward to your sartorial adventures, photos, and lively patter.

Unknown said...

After going through this artical i have decided to bookmark this site found this really interesting & thanks a lot for keeping the blog Lively with such interesting blogs.
___________________
dyana
Online Marketing of your brand

Unknown said...

hey foster, would you mind sharing your pros/cons of having lived primarily in maine and then spending the past 3 months in nyc? i've been researching but a personal account is way cooler than max. population, air quality levels, and gross incomes. :)