Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Own Private New England


In four months to the day, I will pack up my belongings and move away from New England for the foreseeable future. Three years ago, I arrived at Boston International Airport, naive, unsuspecting and excited to spend four years at a tiny college nestled in the Maine woods. It wasn't until my junior year that my curiosity drove me out of the walls of my college and I started appreciating the history and texture of the area around me. As the shadow of moving away from New England edges closer, I find myself looking for excuses to explore bumpy side roads that connect the forests and fields of Northern New England.

Crates in a lumber yard near Unity, Maine.
Convenience store near Decker Corner, Maine.

Locomotive breath near Detroit, Maine.
Jeep delivery truck near Dodge Corner, Maine. I wish it was mine.

A country road near the New Hampshire and Maine border.

A pair of weathered barns near Burnham, Maine.

A lone tree in a field near Shoreham, Vermont.

Aimlessly, I wander the cracked roads, listening to songs on repeat and measuring my trips in time, not miles traveled. I drive alone. Stopping often, I leave the car running as I skip across the road and into the snow. Through the lens of my camera, I try to capture my own private New England.

Here are some more links,
My Last Four Months in New England (Picasa),
Side of the Road (ART).

24 comments:

Karen and Sara Brown said...

these are great foster!

Unknown said...

I will miss your New England posts when you leave, Foster. Just be encouraged to show an interest in whatever place you might wind up -- like Jonathan Raban in his book Hunting Mister Heartbreak. And keep posting to your blog!

Foster Huntington said...

Browns,
thanks for the nice words.
Foster

Foster Huntington said...

I will undoubtedly find an interest and curiosity for the place i end up. I will always take pictures,
Foster

Anonymous said...

i treasure my photos from new england that i snapped in college there. these are great, foster. you'll look back on these very fondly someday.

Foster Huntington said...

Brian,
Some of these photos were taken near midd. i was there last weekend. I wonder how my perception of the area will change from when i take the pictures until i look back at them years from now,
Foster

A TIME TO GET said...

and a reference to one of my all time favorite films... nice one, foster.

Foster Huntington said...

Nick,
gus van sant went to my highschool and I grew up on his films. I am glad you like the post, your oppinion means a lot to me,
foster

Unknown said...

Really good work.

Have you ever checked out the work of Alabama photographer William Christenberry? Very reminiscent of these, but in the South instead of New England.

Super thankful I stumbled across your blog!

Foster Huntington said...

I will look him up. I have always called the Maine the deep south of the far north. Thanks for the kind words,
foster

Anonymous said...

"the deep south of the far north" - nice one.

ahh midd. next time you are there, stop in to steve's diner for me. i miss that place.

Foster Huntington said...

Brian,
I will certainly check it out and send you a picture,
foster

Anonymous said...

Any plans for after graduation? I think you mentioned you wanted to go into conceptual design if I'm not mistaken.

Foster Huntington said...

I am planing on working for Ralph Lauren post graduation, if all goes to plans that is,
foster

MT said...

Oh, how I'd love to see this in real life. Too bad San Francisco is so far!

Foster Huntington said...

its only a plane flight away....
foster

Anonymous said...

you're progressing into the walker evans of new england. keep it up!

Foster Huntington said...

Walker went to college in new england too. though i havent dropped out, yet.. haha
Foster

Ann Marie said...

love these photos and your desire to know a place and its stories. love, love, love!
glad i stumbled upon you blog today!

nikole said...

this is nice foster

Foster Huntington said...

I am curious like gorge. thanks for the kind words and the support,
foster

Anonymous said...

that is most unfortunate to hear! i've been following your blog for a roughly a year now, and have been greatly inspired and intrigued by your collection of photos and stories that you put together so well. so much so that i've decided myself to take a trip out to NH for school next semester! i was even hoping to make a trip up to maine and meet the mastermind behind these wonderful blog posts in person!

Foster Huntington said...

I am glad my images and words could inspire you. you will have a great time in NH. Where are you going?
Foster

Anonymous said...

i'm hoping to go to UNH in Durham, NH. thanks, yeah from what i've seen it looks like a great place!