A few weeks ago, I posted a photo of the things I would take if my house were burning and asked the question, What would you take? Since then I have reached out to friends and acquaintances asking them each to submit a photo and list of items. The results and enthusiasm for the concept have been amazing.
To showcase these photos and facilitate the creation of others, I started a website called The Burning House, the-burning-house.com. The site is simple but has the necessary features: big images and a submit function.
Here are two examples of submissions from friends:
Location: New York City
- Martin Guitar (this is one is special because my dad bought it for me on bleeker street years ago when I first moved here - most kids' parents were buying them textbooks..this meant much more)
- Vintage LL Bean wool hat
- Hard Drive of all my photos
- Vintage Wrangler Jeans
- Necklace of collected charms I always wear including a gold chair and anchor, the state of michigan, two pistols, and three vintage sterling knives
- My grandmother's id bracelet from the 30's
- A coffee stained, dog eared, underlined copy of G.K. Chesterton's "Whats Wrong With the World"
- Turquoise Squash Blossom Necklace
- A knife and a tit like crustacean from you (housed usually in my exclusive treefort treasure box)
- Minolta Maxxum 5 camera I bought when I was 16, un-fancy but never takes a bad picture
- Vintage Blue Stripe Blouse
- Worn to death Lace Up Frye Boots I've had nearly 10 years now
Location: North Carolina
Occupation: Creative Digital Director University of North Carolina at Greensborough
- My Grandfather's Camera
- My favorite shoes. So comfortable.
- My Moleskin notebook. Full of many sketches, ideas, and dates.
- My favorite shirt.
- A piece of driftwood I found and love.
- My laptop. My iMac would be too hard to carry.
- Two full hard drives with years worth of work and photos.
- My most used kitchen pans. Al Glad Ltd2 fry pan. Le Creuset dutch oven
- My keys. They open and start a lot of things.
- My pencil bag. Full of my best pens and pencils.
- My phone.
It is one part interview, one part OCD photography and one part philosophy of ownership.
For more photos and lists, head over to The Burning House, subscribe to the RSS and most importantly, submit a post. I hope you like it, I'm pretty excited.
Thanks to Bryan Bowie for designing the logo and Jermaine for building the Tumblr.