Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The-Burning-House.com


A few weeks ago, I posted a photo of the things I would take if my house were burning and asked the question, What would you take? Since then I have reached out to friends and acquaintances asking them each to submit a photo and list of items. The results and enthusiasm for the concept have been amazing.

To showcase these photos and facilitate the creation of others, I started a website called The Burning House, the-burning-house.com. The site is simple but has the necessary features: big images and a submit function.

Here are two examples of submissions from friends:


Name: Bethany Marcial
Location: New York City
Occupation: Musician
Website: http://www.daughtersofgoodmen.com/

List:

  • Martin Guitar (this is one is special because my dad bought it for me on bleeker street years ago when I first moved here - most kids' parents were buying them textbooks..this meant much more)
  • Vintage LL Bean wool hat
  • Hard Drive of all my photos
  • Vintage Wrangler Jeans
  • Necklace of collected charms I always wear including a gold chair and anchor, the state of michigan, two pistols, and three vintage sterling knives
  • My grandmother's id bracelet from the 30's
  • A coffee stained, dog eared, underlined copy of G.K. Chesterton's "Whats Wrong With the World"
  • Turquoise Squash Blossom Necklace
  • A knife and a tit like crustacean from you (housed usually in my exclusive treefort treasure box)
  • Minolta Maxxum 5 camera I bought when I was 16, un-fancy but never takes a bad picture
  • Vintage Blue Stripe Blouse
  • Worn to death Lace Up Frye Boots I've had nearly 10 years now

and:

Name: Tim Robison
Age: 26
Location: North Carolina
Occupation: Creative Digital Director University of North Carolina at Greensborough

List:
  • My Grandfather's Camera
  • My favorite shoes. So comfortable.
  • My Moleskin notebook. Full of many sketches, ideas, and dates.
  • My favorite shirt.
  • A piece of driftwood I found and love.
  • My laptop. My iMac would be too hard to carry.
  • Two full hard drives with years worth of work and photos.
  • My most used kitchen pans. Al Glad Ltd2 fry pan. Le Creuset dutch oven
  • My keys. They open and start a lot of things.
  • My pencil bag. Full of my best pens and pencils.
  • My phone.

It is one part interview, one part OCD photography and one part philosophy of ownership.

For more photos and lists, head over to The Burning House, subscribe to the RSS and most importantly, submit a post. I hope you like it, I'm pretty excited.

Thanks to Bryan Bowie for designing the logo and Jermaine for building the Tumblr.

18 comments:

TerdFerguson said...

Awesome idea but I think its Greensboro

Foster Huntington said...

thank you for the correction ted and i am glad you like the idea,
foster

MelanieMH said...

This is an absolutely fantastic concept for a project...

Foster Huntington said...

Glad you like it, submit a photo,
Foster

Rhon Bell said...

I have my items planned, but a few are still in Maine. Need to gather my cherished items and I'll submit!

Unknown said...

That's so cool... can't wait to click over and check out even more collections!

James said...

SUCH an awesome idea. Love the photos that people have already submitted. Will do my own when I'm home next month.

Brohammas said...

Home run idea. I luuuurve it.

Foster Huntington said...

thanks for the kind words guys. i am really excite about this project and am really pleased with people's enthusiasm in it. thanks again,
foster

tyler said...

riiiight ooon

Foster Huntington said...

thanks tyler. people's support has been great. im getting a lot of submissions and great responses to the project. if your interested in submitting, check out this form http://the-burning-house.com/submit


foster

dearleila said...

enjoying this project very much, here and on instagram. looking forward to more!

Foster Huntington said...

Leila,
thanks so much for submitting a photo. i love your website. the plane watching photos are amazing,
foster

Francesca Pelliconi said...

congratulation

Anonymous said...

This idea is fantastic :) I never actually think about this. You really make me ask myself that same question.

Greetings rent holiday apartment london

Anonymous said...

This is such an awesome idea, I found it over at black eiffel and love all the photos so much - it is amazing me how many people save a pair of shoes!! I'm thinking up what I'd save in my head now!

tintin said...

I was thinking...no one ever mentioned their homeowners or renters insurance policy.

tintin said...

I was thinking...no one ever mentioned their homeowners or renters insurance policy.