Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Swiss Army Hiker Knife

"I woke up dry beneath the African sky just me and my Swiss Army Knife," the venerable Jimmy Buffet.

Every person should have a pocket knife. As boy I kept myself entertained and covered in band-aids with the iconic Swiss Army Knives. My parents gave me my first one on Christmas of 1992, I was four at the time. To keep me from cutting one of my digits off, my parents dulled the the blades with a file. Since then I have have accumulated numerous scars and memories with my dozen or so Swiss Army Knives.

There is something oddly liberating about owning a knife that can open a wine bottle, saw off a branch, cut rope, punch holes in leather, and remove a splinter.



Recently, I received a Swiss Army Hiker as a gift. It fits perfectly in the pocket and has the essentials; a long blade, short blade, saw, flat head screwdriver/can opener, Phillips head screwdriver/can opener, leather punch, Phillips head screwdriver and of course the toothpick and tweezers. James Bond would approve.


Here are some more links,
Victorinox Swiss Army,
Swiss Army Knife,
Swiss Army Hiker (Amazon),
The American Boys Handy Book (Amazon),
Crocodile Dundee (IMDB),

4 comments:

A TIME TO GET said...

I give you one month before both the tweezers and the toothpick are gone.

Foster Huntington said...

fewww... id give it two weeks haha

Unknown said...

Your first one was a 6.95 fake with every tool and then some. It was not made in America or even Switzerland. Two weeks later, you cried so hard when it broke . Came apart at the seams. Then we bought you a real one. I don't remember any cuts really.

Foster Huntington said...

blowing up my spot mom...thanks.. ahaha