Thursday, February 26, 2009

New England Barns


Desperately searching for talking points, my friends' awkward parents always ask me, "...So, how is New England different from the Northwest?" I usually fire back with a stock answer like, "Well, most people are much more socially conservative, and the whole preschool thing was completely new to me," and thus dodge a prolonged conversation. Regardless of my poorly-masked lack of enthusiasm for discussing cultural differences with uninterested, Xanax-infused housewives, I ponder their question long after dinner is over.

After spending countless hours driving to and from remote colleges around the New England countryside, I finally have an answer worth listening to. It's the barns.

The Northwest doesn't have old, beautiful barns. The wet climate rots wood and the harsh wind chips paint and rips off shingles. Most barns are textureless extensions of a suburb made from prefab trusses with synthetic or aluminum siding and roofs, and cement floors. New England barns transversely, are old wooden, structures who sag and chipped paint only makes them more enduring.

Here are some photos taken on the side of New England roads that embody the weathered beauty of a good barn.


Here are some more links,
Barnsaver.com (Thanks Sam).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of it that way, but you're kind right about that.

JP

Foster Huntington said...

not to sounds like a highschool English teacher, but barns a symbol of the larger differences between the northwest and new england. new England has entrenched, well weathered heritage. the northwest's only heritage it's history of exploration and leaving tradition behind in search of greener pasture. Both have their appeals and short comings, and the difference in barns is an interesting lens to look at them through.

dandy nihilism said...

'Xanax' is spelled with an 'X.'

Terrific photographs.

Foster Huntington said...

thanks for the spelling fix, i am an atrocious speller. Glad you like my photos.
foster

Laurie said...

I thought you knew that we are truly interested in who, what, and where you are. I felt sad and offended when I read this. It took my by surprise and I spent my day thinking about how I could have left you with such a disturbing impression.
Laurie
Friend and parent who is sometimes in Vermont

Canon 430 speedlight said...

man does it snow all of the time where you are from? ive looked at most of your pics and theres snow everywhere..

haha cool stuff :)