Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Somewhere in Central Maine


Yesterday, I went on a walk in a small town in central Maine looking for things that could as easily be from the 1930's as 2009. Since the 1950's, central Maine has changed little short of the infestations of Walmarts, McDonalds, and Timmy Hortons. Textile factories, logging, shipyards, and paper mills dominated economic landscape of of central Maine until the fifties and sixties when these companies either closed for business all together or moved out west or abroad. Now the largest employers in the area are hospitals and colleges. My friends and I affectionately call central Maine the deep south of the far north.


Here is a panorama I made of the abandoned Lockwood Mills cotton textile plant. The plant has remand relatively untouched since it closed its doors for business in the mid fifties.

I really liked this sign, for Laverdiere's Rexall Drug.

No comments: