Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Out of Reception: My Last Month of College


I sat in my kindergarten classroom distracted by the other ruffians, the possibilities of the cloudless sky outside, and my teacher's shoulder pads. Idly playing with my hands, I picked at a patch of road rash from a bike accident a week earlier. Quietly ticking over Mrs. Basham's shoulder, the big hand crept towards 9 and the promise of wall ball and the creaking swing sets. The moment the bell rang, I knocked over my chair as I scrambled to the door.

Seventeen years and 3,300 miles away from the linoleum floors of my cold war era elementary school, I pass time in the final classes of my conventional education, checking my watch with the same eagerness as an ADD five-year old. Excited by the prospect of new experiences and a faster pace of life, I kick back in my chair. Instead of staring into the depths of my small hands, I flick and tap on the screen of my iPhone taking pictures of my last month of college.

Colby's woodshop in Sidney, Maine.

My last field trip, Belgrade, Maine.

Spending an afternoon in Sheep's Meadow, Central Park.

Subway maintenance, New York.

Riding my De Bernardi, Waterville Maine.

Master's weekend, Middlebury, Vermont.

Apartment searching, West Village.

Sitting by the Johnson Pond, Colby College.

Enjoying New England's oysters.

A Frito Bandito in Vermont.

Hopefully this time, I won't knock over the chair.

All of these photos were taken with my iPhone 3Gs and filtered with Colorcross from Camerbag.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats man!
The future is yours!

Foster Huntington said...

Thanks for the kind words skip. I feel like Tom Cruz in riskey business. In the air tonight is playing in the background, but instead of anticipating having sex with a glorified hooker, I am waiting to be done with acedemia haha,
foster

Anonymous said...

i hope that's a growler of otter creek!
soak it up, foster.

Foster Huntington said...

Brian,
you bet your ass that's some otter creek. I am doing my best. New England is beautiful in the spring,
foster

alan said...

do you really have a happy face sticker on a rolex? haha

Foster Huntington said...

I did for a few weeks until it came off in the shower. It was a great sticker,
foster

Isaac Buie said...

I was a late bloomer. It took me forever to finish college, so I can truly appreciate your accomplishment. A major congratulations to you sir.

Foster Huntington said...

Isaac,
thanks a lot. I am dyslexic and add and have a tough go at getting edumicated. its nice to finally reach the finish line and prepare for a new set of challenges,
foster

Memphis88 said...

You still got field trips in college? That's bullshit! I am procrastinating right now instead of studying for my last 2 finals on Thursday. It still hasn't quite hit me that as of this Saturday I will be a college graduate. I have to admit that I'm pretty jealous that you are done with academia for good.

Foster Huntington said...

Memphis,
its wild isnt it? i graduate on the 23rd so i still have a while of messing around to do. this semester i took geo141 and we got to go on a handful of field trips. it was awesome. any news from law school?
foster

Memphis88 said...

Got wait-listed by my number one choice and I am still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools. I used to be anxious to hear from schools, but now I am just taking news as it comes. How soon do you start your job?

Foster Huntington said...

My lease starts on June 1st so as soon as I get situated I will start. Good luck with the waitlist. I got into Colby off of the waitlist, there is always hope.
Foster

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on graduating Foster! Love your photos by the way and hope you keep it up in NYC.

-Christine
N'East Style

Foster Huntington said...

Christine,
thanks for the wishes, i am so glad to grad. i dont know if i will be able to keep the blog up. i am going to be supper busy with my job and wouldnt want to half ass a blog. we will see. i am glad you like my pictures,
foster

SS said...

Congrats - Where are you working?

Foster Huntington said...

Ralph Lauren,
foster

C.H. said...

congrats foster! i've only finished 3 yrs and still have 1 1/2 left to go. I should hope you'll continue updating ART with such wonderful images and stories from your adventures, even with this chapter of your life ending.

Foster Huntington said...

C.H.
thanks for the kind words. You will be done before you know it,
foster

Wrecked Stellar said...

Oh to be that age again! Great photos, esp. the one of your foot on the bike pedal- great perspective shot. Congratulations on graduating. I sort of wish I did the 5-year plan just to stay in college :)

Foster Huntington said...

Wrecked Stellar,
thanks for the kind words. the grass is always greener in terms of age. hope all is well,
foster

a quotes said...

Nice blog, hope you could keep up with it all along and document a life. Maybe you could put a bit more words and feelings.