Thursday, March 18, 2010

Maine's Largest General Store


The sign says it all: Guns, Wedding Gowns and Cold Beer. Located on ME 32 fifteen miles east of Augusta, the Hussey's General Store provides central Mainers with all things required for life in Maine. Open for business for 87 years, the store has changed little in the face of competition from chain stores like Walmart.

Many times on my journeys throughout Maine I have stopped by Hussey's to poke around the store's 30,000 square feet of retail space. Sometimes I buy venison sausage, other times I chat with the sporting goods salesmen, and occasionally I frantically search the store's countless aisles for a restroom sign. The sheer texture of the store and its juxtaposing goods always catch my eye regardless of my reason of stopping by.

The tools have changed, but the story hasn't.

Wedding Gowns...

Cold Beers... PBR long necks are as rare as stores like these.

Guns...

Customers.

Vintage military canteens and leather shoelaces.

Every color of the rainbow.

All the Carhartts you could ever want.
Just in case you have enough lamps to necessitate gallons of kerosene.

Do you feel lucky?

Woof.

Hussey's has a great selection of Emerson of Maine Boots.
I couldn't think of a better place to buy the supplies for a shotgun wedding. The guns and the gowns are literally 30 feet apart.

Anyone visiting Maine should make the trek to the Hussey's General Store. They are a dying breed and as much a part of Maine as Bean boots and lobster fishing.

Here are some more links,
Hussey's General Store (Picasa),
Hussey's General Store.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That store looks awesome. "Shotgun wedding" immediately popped into mind after looking at the first picture.

Not being a gun owner, I have no idea what they cost. Is $6500 normal for a vintage rifle? How vintage or rare was that particular rifle? It seems real steep.

Foster Huntington said...

Unitedstyle,
I am not a gun nut by any means but i think its safe to assume that a 130 year old classic gun like a Winchester repeating rifle will be very collectible. I am sure you could get one made in the 20s or 30s for a third to a quarter of that,
foster

This is were to make orders: said...

you gotta luv it..... but do they have Shwanns gold nugget ice cream bars?

Foster Huntington said...

hmm i would be surprised if they didnt mom,
foster

wingtip blog said...

Fantastic post. Planning my first trip to Maine this summer.

Thank you again for your insight into Bean Signature last might.

Dan

Foster Huntington said...

Dan,
the hussey's general store should definitely be on your list. Thanks for the kind words,
foster

Caroline, No. said...

This is bloody brilliant!

Foster Huntington said...

Caroline,
The Hussey's general store is the coolest store i have ever been in. they dont try hard to make it cool, they just are naturally cool.
foster

Anonymous said...

that sign at the top just made my day. so awesome.

Foster Huntington said...

Brian,
the place is one in a million and the people that run the place have a great sense of self,
foster

Megan said...

This is too great. I wish I could book a flight to Maine right now to check it out for myself! I just found your blog and it looks very cool.

Foster Huntington said...

Megan,
the store is more empressive and has far more texture in person. Thanks for the kind words about my blog,
foster

Anonymous said...

I want that green/black check cap. I found their website, but was disappointed/glad to see that they escaped the clutches of instant commerce and globalization. Good for them, bad for me.

Foster Huntington said...

Dale,
sometimes you just have to make the trip in person. you would not regret it.
foster

Just Another Savage! said...

That's what I am talking about! Americana! Gotta love it, very real, cause it is! and more than anything it shows that SIMPLIFICATION is the way to go! They should start a chain, sell franchises tuned to certain parts of the country. Blue Tick Hound Dog Hog Hunting accessories in the South. Homemade All Natural Surf Board Wax in Kalifornia! Amish Made Bourbon Whiskey Barrels in Tennessee, along with your do it yourself whiskey making recipes. You could plop a store down in New York City like this and charge admission to come in and spend money. Hell you could charge a percentage on how much your planing to spend. Brilliant. more like this please. AP

This is were to make orders: said...

a sense of humor goes a long way in my book

N'East Style said...

I loved trips to Hussey's as a kid. My family lived in Farmington before moving to Vermont. Hussey's is definitely a place where you can say, "If they don't have it, you don't need it." Kinda like Renny's.

Foster Huntington said...

Well put, if husseys doesn't have it, you certainly don't need it.
Foster

Alex Galletti said...

I do feel lucky! I always dream of becoming a hunter but I think it's not possible coz' I'm living here in the city. But I do like those rifles on the stand. I hope I could drop by one day with my motorcycle and even though I won't or I can't use my gun for hunting, I'll just pamper it with coating protective maintain its beauty. But first I gotta know what coat is the best for it.

Mr.911 said...

Thank you. Great blogs
aspire aod255e, acer aspire aod255e, acer as5253 laptop