Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Farewell To Winter


"The snow is gone and it's not coming back," a baker at the farmers market told me recently. Impressed by his beard and suspenders, I took his word as gospel. The rivers are humming with water from a mild winter's snow. Dead set on maximizing their lawns, Mainers are raking up gravel and sand deposited by the county's army of plows.

I live in a shanty in a shanty town.

Signs warning of thin ice pepper the edges of lakes as open water slowly gains confidence around the perimeter and then spreads towards the center like kids at a middle school dance.

Tucker reading out on the ice on one of the last days of winter.

For Sale by Owner.

As you read this I will be in Nicaragua, playing in 85 degree water like a seven year old at Chuck E. Cheese.

Protecting a Mainer's back yard, these ice shanties won't see redeployment for another nine months.

Things weather fast here.

Chirping birds in the morning are bitter sweet. I will miss the reality of Maine winters that shatters the romantic ideals of snowball fights and warming up by the fireplace, but at the same time makes the bonds to seasons more long lasting and genuine. All good things must come to an end, and, like my time in Maine, a new opportunity is here.

6 comments:

Frank van Loon said...

as always beautiful pics! let the sun shine! Frank

World Elephant said...

i'm dying for spring right now. your pictures give me sharp jabs of hope. well done.

Foster Huntington said...

thanks for the kind words. spring is the best time of the year. its full of hope and excitement,
foster

Foster Huntington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christian said...

It's been a while since I visited the site and as always it's a pleasure to see the world through your unique eyes. I hope you will keep the site going after you move to New York. Good luck with Ralph!! Christian

Foster Huntington said...

Christian,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope i will be able to keep posting when i move to new york. My life will chance a tremendous amount,
foster