Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Rain, Sun and House-Sized Waves


In a jet lagged daze I lay in the bed after waking up at 5am Northwest time, (8am Maine time), eating breakfast and then falling back to sleep. Despite being 3,000 miles from my typical place of slumber, I reached over to my iPhone in my standard morning routine and flicked through the apps. After reading my emails and Twitter, I eventually thumbed the Magic Seaweed application out of desperation to rationalize staying in bed for a few more minutes.

Instantly I jumped up from my semi-catatonic slumber into a state of hysteria. As an enthusiastic rider of Maine waves, I check Magic Seaweed daily and usually see numbers an order of magnitude smaller than the ones I was looking at for the Oregon coast. Like a six year old on Christmas morning I rushed down the stairs, grabbed my camera, car keys, and a wool jacket and headed to the Portland Airport to pick up my dad and then head to the coast in search of waves and rain.

An hour and a half later, I hopped out of my dad's 4Runner and scurried towards the lookout like a kid at the ball pit at McDonald's.

It was windy.

The last scene of Point Break was filmed at this beach. "We'll get him when he comes back in!" It sure looked like Bodhi's 50-year storm last weekend.

House size waves, torrential downpours and 30 + mph winds keep me honest.

After two hours of rain and wind the clouds finally broke and for fifteen minutes. My dad and I watched waves roll in and thunderstorm cells lurk closer.

From 300 feet up and roughly half a mile away these waves looked more like an avalanche on the Discovery channel than things people ride for fun.

We headed back to the car as the drops of rain fell on our backs. As soon as we got in the car and cranked on the heater, large hailstones started pinging off of the windshield. Our timing couldn't have been better.

Here are some more links,
Rain, Sun and House Sized Waves (Picasa),
Rain, Sun and House Sized Waves (Vimeo).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

Angelo R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelo R. said...

Where was that last photo taken? I would love to visit that location. Thanks.

Foster Huntington said...

Its on the Oregon coast in the Oswald West State Park.
Foster

L.A.S said...

Point Break references for the win.

Brooke Williams said...

wow. beautiful pictures of the sea and rain...makes me miss oregon!

Foster Huntington said...

I always miss the Northwest, especially the oregon coast. I love point break too. if any one has missed it, i recommend like a priest recommends confession.
Foster

ROXY MARJ said...

LOVE LOVE the photo of the tree blowing next to the bridge! I would blow that up to 5'x3'!

Ryan said...

The fact that the final scene in point break was filmed on the oregon coast just reaffirms that I need to make a trip to the pacific northwest asap.

Sildenafil said...

OHH my god I love the beach because I'm a distinguish surfer I like ride those waves, but those photos don't have life because of the storming. Sildenafil Citrate