Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Instagr.am

I am a nerd. Every morning, I ritualistically read tech-blogs like Gizmodo, Silicon Alley Insider and All Things D. A few months ago I started hearing chatter about an imaging processing and sharing program called Instagram for the iPhone. For a year and a half, I used Twitter and photo editing software like Camera Bag to share my photographs with people. I would take a photo of something with my iPhone, edit the image with a filter and then post it on Twitter. Instagram streamlined this process, combining editing and uploading software into one program. Intrigued, I downloaded Instagram and started using the filters on my photos.
After messing around with the dozen or so filters, I like the results from Nashville. They look the most like Kodachrome. Here are some of my favorites photos from the last month.
My window and a deer head.
A view of Mosier, Oregon from across the Columbia River.
This VW Beetle wasn't faring that well in Manhattan, let alone Jackson Hole.
The sun's reflection bouncing back along 59th street at sunrise.

Instagram combines a lot of the functionality of Twitter and Facebook's newsfeed, allowing users to follow others, comment on their photographs and "like" photographs. In addition, Instagram uploads across platforms, adding your photo to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Foursquare and Flikr with one tap of the screen.

Early morning shadows in Central Park.
Higgins Beach, Scarborough, Maine.
Unfortunately, Instagram limits photo sizes to a square 612 pixels as opposed to the potential 2592 of the iPhone 4. This smaller size limits its use outside of an iPhone screen.
Joe Coffee on the Upper West Side.
I am certainly not the first to the party. Instagram already has an estimated 2 million users. A lot of you are probably using it, but if you have an iPhone and aren't using it, download it now. It's free. Look for my photos on Instagram, @FosterHuntington or on Twitter.

Here are some more links,

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best camera is the one you have with you.

Foster Huntington said...

exactly.

Kreighbaum said...

Complete fan. Thanks for the post.

Foster Huntington said...

glad you like it. instagram is the best,
foster

TK said...

and i was impressed with my 3GS-- coolest phone pictures out man.

Foster Huntington said...

I had a 3gs and loved it. The iPhone 4 blows it out of the water. I am sure the iPhone 5 will be ridiculous. thank you for the kind words,
foster

Charles Owens said...

I use Instagram and Hipstamatic together. Sometimes I prefer the filters on Hipstamatic and Instagram lets you use photos from your camera and that feature (among others) has kept me using it. Nice post thanks.

Foster Huntington said...

Charles,
i bought histimatic, used it a couple of times and never really connected with it. any advice?
foster

Jim said...

perpetually on the 3rd frame foreva

barb. said...

great collection, Foster!

Foster Huntington said...

Thank you jim and barb. glad you them,
foster

LaLa said...

Oh 4th from the bottom is like a lesson in composition. I love all the spaces inbetween that my eye rests at.
Oh and the last one too...

Maybe I just really like roads. Either way. real Purty.