Wednesday, January 5, 2011

On the Road


The story reverted to the beginning of chapter 8. Fumbling for the case in the center console, I grabbed CD five, ejected CD four and continued the audio book. Unsympathetic to my interest in Moby Dick, the lights of a late 80's pickup flashed twice in the rearview mirror before unleashing its liberally muffled v8. In a cloud of blue smoke and the glimmer of a Bush/Quayle 92 bumper sticker, the truck passed on a double yellow.

"Bush/Quayle? Who the fuck was Quayle?" I chuckled, referring the question to my dad with a grin.

"Bush Senior's vice president..." he sardonically replied.

"Oh no, you don't say...I mean who was he?"

"He was an incompetent Senator from Indiana; a "Family Values" advocate."

"Only in Yakima, Washington would one of those be kicking around," I said, motioning to the truck as it passed around the corner.

Spending the majority of my time in Manhattan makes exploring country roads to the sound of audio books all the more appealing. Starting on the 23rd of December and ending the 2nd of January, I explored the roads of Pacific Northwest with my friends and family. I hiked, snowboarded, shot guns and took photos along the way.

My mom's Irish terrier, Lucy.

Behind the market, Seattle.

Looking East, Bingen, Washington.

Blasting away in Prindle Washington.

Red gate near Mt Saint Helens.

Straight from Alaska.

Hours before catching my red-eye back to New York, I walked down an abandoned road in the Columbia River Gorge. Lucy, my mom's spunky Irish terrier, ran ahead, chasing a quail. Despite the beauty and serenity of my surroundings, I looked forward to the bustle and energy of New York. Nine hours later, I landed in Newark. It's a crazy world we live in.

Here are some more links,
On The Road (Picasa),
Side of the Road (ART).

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on reppin' for the NW.

Foster Huntington said...

repping it hard.
foster

Chuck Hatt said...

Very nice pictures as always Foster. What camera(s) are you using?

Foster Huntington said...

Chuck,
all of these were shot with my 5d mark ii and a zeiss 35mm f2. its a great setup. shooting manual focus forces me to think about the shot more. it feels more analog.
foster

Ian said...

I think these might be some of the most beautiful pictures (at least some of my favorites) that you've taken.

Foster Huntington said...

thanks ian. i am pumped on these too.
foster

barb. said...

great! i like 'we clean crabs' sign.

Foster Huntington said...

thank you barb. i like your tumblr.
foster

Greg D. said...

If your father actually thinks Dan Quayle was an incompetent Senator from Indiana (currently one of the only economically balanced states), then that puts your boy Obama pretty low on the pole.

It's really too bad your liberal bias has to ruin your blog - good luck with that. You must fit right in with the failing NY liberal media elite.

Foster Huntington said...

greg,
your boy's, mr quayle, words speak for themselves. "Mars is essentially in the same orbit [as Earth]....Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

and fuck you i am a libertarian.
foster

Greg D said...

Thought you didn't know who Dan Quayle was? Wow, you're pretty sharp with the internet and all.

Now go and do some real research so the next time it doesn't look like your pissin' out your mouth again.

Fuck you to sheep fucker.

This is were to make orders: said...

United we stand, divided we fall.
yOUR BOX IS MAILED.

Anonymous said...

He can't spell potato. Remember? That's all everyone knows him for, it's his contribution to the world.

Greg D said...

You're right. If only he had obama's teleprompter...

Anonymous said...

these photos look fantatsic! not to mention, that dog is beautiful. looks like you're having an awesome time my friend, enjoy.

Billy said...

Good trippin', Foster.

Sophie said...

My favorite Quayle quote is "For NASA, space is still a high priority".

Really enjoyed the photographs and the commentary. Don't let the haters get you down; they are few and far between.

Unknown said...

thanks ...beautiful pics as always

thanks...conan

http://conanguycarpenter.blogspot.com/