Thursday, April 8, 2010

Food from Nicaragua


"Me gusta el plato de frutas y una Tona por favor," I gingerly said hoping my ear-to-ear smile would mask my butchered verb conjugations and gringo accent. Standing behind the wooden bar wiping the top down with a rag, the mid-thirties Nica women giggled, "....y uno grande agua?"

"Si si," I stammered, sitting shirtless and dripping salt water on a stationary stool made out of a tree trunk. I rubbed the two raw marks on my ribs from constant rubbing from the surf board and waited as the cook handed me a cold can of beer and a water. Swimming after waves for five hours a day like a dog chasing sticks works up an appetite, and for a week and a half, I indulged in the food area.

Classic Nicaraguan breakfast; Two Eggs, Pico De Gallo, Rice and Beans.

Five minutes and a few glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice later.

For breakfast, lunch and dinner, a trio of three Nica women in this kitchen whipped up some of the most delicious meals I have ever had.

For dinner, I ate fish: fried fish, grilled fish, fish fillets, and entire fish.
Huachinango (Red Snapper).

The fridge.

Breakfast of champions.

Refueled.

Chris enjoying his breakfast after a two hour morning session.

Chorizo, rice and beans, tortillas, and two fried eggs.

I had plenty of second breakfasts.

Reward..

Anticipation..

Huff and Puff cooling; discussed by few, but known by many overzealous pizza eaters.

Food does not have to be complicated to taste good. Instead of relying on complicated recipes and presentation, the cooks in Nicaragua used quality ingredients and compassion to make their food. I like simple things.

Here are some more links,
Food form Nicaragua (Picasa),
Food (ART).

7 comments:

brohammas said...

Eating comes naturally but taking pictures of eating is another thing entirely.
I would write more but I have this undying urge to go find and empinada.

Foster Huntington said...

Thanks for the kind words. Looking back at this food makes me so hungry. The food was amazing,
foster

adentro style said...

I have been craving nicaraguan food for so long...here in NYC I've had no luck in finding some.

Foster Huntington said...

I can't believe there Arent some good nica resturants in NYC. I will have to check it out when I move to NYC,
foster

heavy tweed jacket said...

Amazing food, and the color palette of the tables, walls and surrounding is wonderful. Look like a fun trip.

Foster Huntington said...

Htj,
thanks for the kind words. The food was amazing. The trip was amazing. Glad you're back,
foster

Foster Huntington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.